My publications in English
- Koenraad, A.L.M. (2016) iTILT 2nd Edition: Interactive Teaching in Languages with Technology. Collaborative action research to develop materials and methodologies for using interactive technologies in the language classroom.Paper presented at the EUROCALL MALL SIG Symposium 'Perspectives on the integration of Mobile Assisted Language Learning (MALL) tools in the teaching & learning of foreign languages', 2016, Bucharest, Romania. In ICMAL proceedings book of THE 3rd INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCE of MODERN APPLIED LANGUAGES, 131 – 152 http://icmal.lumina.org/en/
- Koenraad, A.L.M. (2014c) Excellent Professional Development Resource for Interactive White Board Users. A review of 'Hennessy, S., Warwick, P., Brown, L., Rawlins, D., & Neale, C. (eds.) (2014). Developing interactive teaching and learning using the IWB: Teacher Resource' Milton Keynes: Open University Press. 'EmergingEdTech 2014/11'
- Koenraad, A.L.M. (2014b). Expert Views on How Language Education May Develop in the Next 20 Years and What CALL Could Contribute. (The extended, audio-enhanced version). The EuroCALL Review Volume 21, no 1, March 2014. There are two versions: one for Chrome/FireFox and one for Internet Explorer . Can also be viewed or downloaded as text-only PDF here at the Open Journal System .
- Koenraad, A.L.M. (2014a) A selection of recommended Tools, Resources, Repositories & Applications to support Modern Foreign Language (MFL) development in Vocational Education. Expert contribution to the EU project TKEYHIL . For links and latest additions see this blogpost.
Koenraad, T. (2013b). Exploring student teacher roles in 3D virtual world projects in modern language and teacher education. In R. McBride & M. Searson (Eds.), Proceedings of Society for Information Technology & Teacher Education International Conference 2013 (pp. 3514-3521). Chesapeake, VA: AACE. Retrieved from http://www.editlib.org/p/48643.
Koenraad, A.L.M. (2013a). Expert Views on How Language Education May Develop in the Next 20 Years and What CALL Could Contribute. In L. Bradley & S. Thouësny (Eds. 20 Years of EUROCALL: Learning from the Past, Looking to the Future. Proceedings of the 2013 EUROCALL Conference, Évora, Portugal (pp. 141-148). Dublin/Voillans: © Research-publishing.net.
Koenraad, A.L.M. (2012a). Towards Effective Use of Interactive Whiteboards in the Modern Language Classroom. In Alicja Wujec Kaczmarek (ed.) Technologie informacyjne i komunikacyjne w nowoczesnej edukacji - z perspektywy polskiej i europejskiej. Opole: MODN (Information and Communication Technologies in Modern Education - From Polish and European Perspective) Downwload here
Koenraad, A.L.M. (2010). LanguageQuests in Language Education: Introduction. CORELL: Computer Resources for Language Learning 3, 1-13.
Koenraad, A.L.M. (2009). Learning blends and 3D Virtual Worlds to promote oral skills development in modern language education. Paper presented at CALICO 2009 Conference, Phoenix, Arizona
- Koenraad, A.L.M. (2008a) Using interactive whiteboards in the modern language classroom. English version of NL Publication ‘Wat kan het digitale schoolbord bijdragen aan het taalonderwijs?’ Levende Talen Magazine. December 2008
- Koenraad, A.L.M. (2008b). How can 3D virtual worlds contribute to language education? Paper presented at the 3rd International WorldCALL Conference: Using Technologies for Language Learning (WorldCALL 2008, Fukuoka, Japan).
- Koenraad, A.L.M. (2008c). Interactive Whiteboards in educational practice: the research literature reviewed. Download here or at elearningEuropa
- Koenraad, A. L. M. (2007). 3D and language education. White paper on the rationale for the ViTAAL project.
- Koenraad, A.L.M. (2006a) ‘LanguageQuest Design and Telecollaboration’. Teaching English with Technology 6 (3)
- Koenraad, A.L.M. (2006b) Redesigning for Interaction: Towards ‘The Image of the Other II’. Paper presented at the EUROCALL 2006 Conference, University of Granada, Spain
- Koenraad, A.L.M. (2005a). 'Pronett: Supporting the integration of ICT in Teacher Training'. Paper for World Congress on Computers in Education 2005, Cape Town, South Africa
- Koenraad, A.L.M. (2005b). The ECML Workshop ‘LanguageQuest’: Internationalising the NL Project ‘TalenQuest’. Paper presented at the CONTEXT – event: 'Using New Technologies in Language Teaching’, organised by the European Centre for Modern Languages.
- Koenraad, A.L.M. (2005c). Developing network-based language learning & teaching in Education and Teacher Training: The MICaLL Project. Paper presented at the International Conference on Task Based Language Teaching, Leuven University, 21 – 23 September, 2005
- Koenraad, A.L.M. (2004). 'Promoting Information and Learning Technology in Teacher Education: a pilot implementation of the PRONETT portal'. In Proceedings of the Third EDEN Research Workshop and International Conference: 'Supporting the Learner in Distance Education and E-Learning'.
- Koenraad, A. L.M. (2002) TalenQuest: WebQuests for Modern Languages. In J.Colpaert . J., Decoo, W., Simons, M. and Bueren, van. S. (Eds.) CALL professionals and the future of CALL research, Proceedings CALL 2002 (pp.159-168). Antwerp: University of Antwerp.
- Compilation of video clip samples shot in 3D virtual worlds (Machinima) and produced for the EU CAMELOT project to support the project's exploitation research in the Modern Language educational publishing industry in the EU to find out key players' views on the potential of machinima for language teaching & learning materials.
My contribution to the Interview Series of the CAMELOT project (2013 - 2015)
- Created a 3 min. video contribution on 3D worlds in Education as requested by the Euroversity Network project.
- Recording of the 2014 webinar on a number of EU projects related to methodology and training development for Interactive Whiteboards as one of the classroom technologies to support interactive teaching and learning.
- PechaKucha presentation of the results a pilot research for Anglia Network Europe 'Using mobile phones for the assessment of and for oral skills development in secondary education' at the 2nd EUROCALL MALL SIG, 2014 in Avila, Spain
- Invited 'inworld' introduction and demo of the OpenSIM platform and the concept of + environment for the 3D version of Language Village (Taaldorp in Dutch) for students enrolled in the Manchester Unversity Course on e-learining run by EUROVERSITY network partner, Gary Motterham. See my related publications for more information on 3D and language education and the Language Village format for language competence assessments in particular. View here
- Workshop weblecture on the development of 3D environments for language learning presented for the partners of the NIFLAR project at Utrecht University.
- Interim testing of the Speaking Lottery Balls Game implementation, one of the inworld games designed for the NIFLAR project to promote language skills and ICC. View here
- Interview at the European Centre for Modern Languages (ECML) centre about the results of the Council of Europe LanguageQuest project. View here.
Using Voicethread to orally present the ViTAAL project (200-2008) on using 3D in Language Education at secondary level.
Chapters in Books
Koenraad, A.L.M. (2010). Tools and Strategies to Support the Implementation of Web-Based and Task-Based Approaches in Modern Language Education. In Luzón, María José., María Noelia Ruiz-Madrid and María Luisa Villanueva Digital Genres, New Literacies and Autonomy in Language Learning Cambridge Scholars Publishing.
Koenraad, A.L.M. (2008) Promoting quality in technology enhanced learning: design criteria for WebQuests in modern language education. In Veronika Hornung-Prähauser, Michaela Luckman and Marco Kalz. (Eds) Selbstorganisiertes Lernen im Internet. Einblick in die Landschaft der webbasierten Bildungsinnovationen. StudienVerlag: Innsbruck.
Koenraad, A.L.M. (2007) The MICaLL WebPortal: tools for task-based language learning. In Barbara Lewandowska-Tomaszczyk (ed) Corpus Linguistics, Computer Tools, and Applications - State of the Art, Frankfurt a.Main: Peter Lang.
Koenraad, A.L.M. (2005). Developing network-based language learning & teaching in Education and Teacher Training: The MICaLL Project. In Schäffer, D. & Adamopoulou, M. (Eds), Fremdsprache Deutch Europäisch. Neue Wege zum Sprachenlernen mit dem Daf-Netzwerk. Pallini: Ellinogermaniki Agogi
Co-authored Papers / Book Chapters
Cutrim Schmid, Euline & Koenraad, Ton (2009). Using Interactive Whiteboards to Support Learner-centred Approaches to Language Teaching and Learning. Paper presented at the EUROCALL Conference, Valencia, Spain, September 2009
Cutrim Schmid, Euline & Koenraad, Ton. (2012) Exploring the potential of the Interactive Whiteboard for CLIL classrooms. Paper presented at the CLIL 2012: From Practice to Visions Conference, Utrecht, Netherlands, April 2012.
Dooly, M., Dolors, M., & Koenraad, A.L.M. ( 2008) Using portals to open horizons. In Dooly, M. (ed) Telecollaborative Language Learning. A guidebook to moderating intercultural collaboration online. Peter Lang
Graaff, R., Koenraad, A.L.M. (2011) Research based guidelines on designing tasks for intercultural communicative competence using video web communication and 3D virtual worlds. manual on 3D in secondary Education. EU NIFLAR Project deliverable
Graaff, R. de, Jauregi, K., Koenraad, T. & Bergh, H. van den (2010). Student teacher action research on networked intercultural communicative competence. Paper presented at the European Association for Computer-Assisted Language Learning Teacher Education SIG Workshop (May 26 - 28): Lyon, France
Jauregi, Kristi., Rick de Graaff, Silvia Canto and Ton Koenraad (2010). Towards a pedagogical framework for task design in video-web communication and virtual worlds. In A. Gimeno Sanz (eds.) New Trends in CALL: Working Together. McMillan, ELTJauregi Ondarra, M.K., Canto, S., Graaff, R. de & Koenraad, T.(2010) Social interaction through video-webcommunication and virtual worlds: An added value for education. Short paper. Proceedings Online Educa Berlin. (pp. 1-6). Berlin: ICWE.
- Jauregi, K., Canto, S., R. de Graaff, Koenraad, T. & Moonen, M. (2011). Verbal interaction in Second Life: towards a pedagogic framework for task design. Computer Assisted Language Learning Journal. 24/1, 77-101 Also available in the special issue of CALL Journal "Task Design and CALL" (2014).
Ton Koenraad, Serkan Çelik, Angela Higgins, Emily Hillier (2015). Promoting Interactive Whiteboard Use in Language and Vocational Education: a Tale
of iTILT and SmartVET EU Projects. Žmogus ir žodis / Svetimosios kalbos / 2015, t. 17, Nr. 3
Koenraad, A.L.M., Celik, C., Higgins, A., Hillier, E. (2013). Approaches and resources to promote teacher competences development for effective interactive whiteboard use, highlighting 2 EU projects: iTILT and SMARTVET. Paper presented at the International Symposium ‘New Issues on Teacher Education’ 2013 May, Hacettepe University, Beytepe, Ankara/TURKEY
Koenraad, A.L.M., Haan, K., Marcilla y Sevilla, A., Renselaar, E. van., Sodoyer, A. (2003). Learning to design WELL in a multilingual community of practice: a pilot implementation of the EU-Project PRONETT. EuroCALL 2003 Conference. University of Limerick, Ireland
Koenraad, A.L.M., Hajer, M., Hootsen, J., Werf, R. van der (2007). Towards a linguistically scaffolded curriculum. How can technology help?'. Paper selected for the e-book edition of the 2006 Conference 'Integrating Content and Language in Higher Education'Conference Maastricht, the Netherlands
Koenraad, A.L.M., Hoeff, A., van der (2013). National Competence Standards for Initial Teacher Education: A Result of Collaboration by Faculties of Education in the Netherlands. JOURNAL OF TEACHER EDUCATION AND EDUCATORS, Vol 2. 2
Koenraad, A.L.M., Jongejan, J.I., Klijn, C., Schoot, H.W., Tomson, A. M. (2004) Benchmark development for the ICTdomain in Dutch Teacher Education Provision. Paper presented at the Minerva Dissemination 2004 Conference: ‘ICT in Education and Professional Development of Teachers’.
Koenraad, A.L.M., Parnell, J. D., Quintana-Trias, L., Anderton, B. (2002). Support for teachers and Trainees in Promoting ICT with Web Learning Technologies: from ‘learn to use’ to ‘use to learn.’ PRONETT Project Document.
Koenraad, A. L.M. & Westhoff, G. J. (2003b) Can you tell a LanguageQuest when you see one? Design criteria for TalenQuests. Paper presented at the EuroCALL 2003 Conference, University of Limerick, Ireland.
Koenraad, A. L. M., Whyte, S., & Cutrim Schmid, E. (2013). iTILT and SmartVET: 2 EUProjects to Promote Effective Interactive Whiteboard Use in Language and Vocational Education. In L. Bradley & S.Thouësny (Eds.), 20 Years of EUROCALL: Learning from the Past, Looking to the Future. Proceedings of the 2013 EUROCALL Conference, Évora, Portugal (pp. 149-157). Dublin/Voillans: © Research-publishing.net. Also to appear in the EuroCALL Review Volume 21, no 2. Or download here
Koenraad, A.L.M. and Lu, Y. (2010). Quick Scan Open Sim Voice Extensions. Study commissioned by SURFnet, NL national IT service provider for Higher Education.
Koenraad, A.L.M. & Parnell, J.D. (2005). 'Pronett. Networking Education and Teacher Training'. In Mohamed Chaib & Ann-Katrin Svensson (Eds), 'ICT in Teacher Education. Challenging Prospects. Jönköping University Press, Jönköping
Motteram, Gary; Koenraad, Ton; Outakoski, Hanna; Jauregi, Kristi; Molka-Danielsen, Judith; Schneider, Christel. (2014). The Euroversity Good Practice Framework (EGPF) and its application to minority languages and elder learners. In Sake Jager, Linda Bradley, Estelle J. Meima, Sylvie Thouësny (Eds) CALL Design: Principles and Practice - Proceedings of the 2014 EUROCALL Conference, Groningen, The Netherlands
Parnell, J. D. & Koenraad. A.L.M (2004). The use of an open source web portal to promote ICT and web based collaboration in teacher training and education. Paper presented at the Minerva Dissemination 2004 Conference: ‘ICT in Education and Professional Development of Teachers’. Leiden, Netherlands
Sailer, H., Cutrim Schmid, E., Koenraad, T. (2014) The IWB in the CLIL classroom: using visuals to foster active learning with young beginners. In Cutrim Schmid, E., & Whyte, S. (Eds.) Teaching languages with technology: communicative approaches to interactive whiteboard use. A resource book for teacher development. Bloomsbury
Simons, M., Koenraad, A.L.M., and Werf, R. van der (2007). Technologies for a content and language integrated approach to dropout problems in Higher Education. In Barbara Lewandowska-Tomaszczyk (ed) Corpus Linguistics, Computer Tools, and Applications - State of the Art, Frankfurt a.Main: Peter Lang.
Contact us for more information or files